Sunday, 18 October 2009

Stonehenge, Stourhead & Bath





Another fantastic week in London! I got quite a few things crossed off my “must do’s in London” list so that feels nice. The weather has been pretty nice, my favorite since we’ve been here actually. I LOVE FALL! Even though it’s getting colder, the sky is clearer and the air is crisp and it has made this week even better! We started off the week by going to The Orangery by Kensington Palace for crumpets and tea and that was a fun British activity and of course we fit right in with all of the proper people thereJ. We American girls laughing and taking pictures of everything at our table…even if it’s something we have at home. Since we’re here in England, it’s somehow different and we must document it all! Later that night a group of us went to Les Miserables. It was incredible!!! I know I’m no theater expert but that’s going to be a hard show to beat! I loved the music, they were all phenomenal singers and the set was so impressive, I loved it all!


Wednesday was the best, it quickly made its way up to the top of my list of favorites. Our first stop was Stonehenge Yes—I have finally been to Stonehenge and I love being able to say that! I’ll be honest though, I was a little confused when our professor told us to look over to the side of the road and, yep, there it was—a pretty small pile of rocks just right on the side of the road. It wasn’t so much the size that shocked me but the fact that it was just right there next to the highway. I was expecting it to be in some huge empty field tucked away from everything. Well even though it’s not in the enchanting location that I was expecting, it was still a pretty unbelievable thing to see. The stones are bigger when you’re standing close to them and it’s pretty amazing to think about how long they got there and how long they’ve been there. I still can’t believe I saw Stonehenge-I’m so happy!



After finishing up there we made our way to Stourhead. Pride and Prejudice anyone? Yes, I also got to see the famous bridge Elizabeth runs over right before Darcy confesses that he loves…he loves…he loves her. Unfortunately the bridge was closed as well as the Temple of ApolloL. That was a huge disappointment to a group of 40 hopelessly romantic girls hoping to take proposal pictures at the temple, but it’s hard to be upset when everything in that garden is so beautiful. It really is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Not to mention, it was definitely one of our best weather days since we’ve been here and that made the gardens all the more pleasing. We had time to just walk around and enjoy everything; it was a perfect day!



Next--rub a dub dub 40 girls in a....Bath:). This is the home of some Roman baths--hence the name Bath, so the city has a very Italian feel (I imagine) and I love it! The baths were really cool, again, it’s amazing what people were able to create so long ago, my mind is blownJ. After we went through the bath, we sat outside of the cathedral and sketched while we listened to the bells and a man play the cello, it was the perfect end to a perfect day!


Another cool thing we did this week was the Churchill War Museum. That is such an interesting place, especially since it’s more recent and I love learning about wartime history. I have a lot more respect for Winston Churchill too, he was a good man who did some great things for this country (plus, he's great to take pictures with) and it was really cool to see what went on here during World War II. The rest of this weekend has mostly just been spent studying for midterms. The center has been fairly tense but considering that most of us have three big tests to take on Monday, I’d say it hasn’t been too bad!
This week was another great one in London and I’m so excited to spend this next one it Italy. I’m so lucky to be here having this experience, doing something I will never do again. I am learning and doing new things that I have always hoped I would be able to and loving and appreciating it more everyday!




No comments:

Post a Comment